Who is CIP4
- 60% Printers who have prioritized investing in Workflow Automation
- 277% Average ROI for JDF-enabled automation
- 480% Average ROI for fully automated, end-to-end automation
- 6979 Average labor hours saved/year by printers who implement JDF
(Sources: InfoTrends’ Production Software Investment Outlook and CIP4 CIPPI Case Studies)
Introduction to CIP4 and JDF
The ICIP4 Organization is a not-for-profit standards association, whose mission is to foster the adoption of process automation in the printing industry. A global organization with representatives from 31 countries, CIP4’s membership is organizational and boasts a diverse membership that includes printers, prepress companies, publishers, vendors of graphic arts systems and software, integrators, distributors, consultants and educators.
Currently, CIP4 consists of over 1,600 individuals from approximately 300 members. These individuals participate in one or more of 17 working groups that are focused on technical subjects as well as educational and automation promotion activities. Membership is open to any company involved in the graphic arts, and “meetings” are primarily held via internet meeting and conference call software, for the convenience of everyone involved.
Members meet twice a year for face-to-face “Interop” events, where technical tutorials are regularly provided for new members and working groups can meet and discuss topics that are best discussed in person. Furthermore, Interops provide and opportunity for members to test systems in development with other members in a private, yet very welcoming and informative environment.
In addition to the specifications of the Job Definition Format, PrintTalk, and the Print Production Format (often called “CIP3”), CIP4 provides a variety of resources to its members and the industry, including:
- Software development kits
- Software testing systems
- Utilities such as CheckJDF and the JDF Editor
- International Users’ Groups
- Product Certification Programs
- The JDF Marketplace — a director of products and services that support JDF and PrintTalk
- The JDF Integration Matrix — a reference to working integration partnerships for printers
- User case studies
Membership is by organization and provides access to benefits to all staff members, and is priced at $2000 for vendors of systems and software and $175 for users of automation systems, such as printers, prepress services, and publishers, as well as for individual consultants. Educational institutions can become a member free of charge.